Thursday, July 4, 2013

Know what you want and get it!

So it’s been a REALLY long time since I did a blog post.  I know, I know.  I am going to do better.  For someone who can write thousands of words about people who don’t exist it’s a tough thing to write a short post to let you know what’s going on in my life (at least anything  you’d find interesting).  Most of you who follow my blog also follow me on Facebook, so you know what an awesome time I had at UTopYA last weekend. 

It would be too hard to come up with one single event that was my favorite part of the weekend, but I
thought I’d do a post with a little moral to the story – You’ll never get what you want if you don’t ask for it!

Let me start this with I’ve been on this awful diet.  I have a serious aversion to vegetables, shhhh don’t tell my kids because I’ll never get them to eat what they’re supposed to.  Basically for two meals per day, every day, I eat (drink) vegetables.  This is quite an accomplishment for someone who has avoided them for the last forty years.  I also cut my Mountain Dew intake down from 6 sodas a day, to two.  Although I seriously dislike it – I do like that my energy level has gone through the roof.

All day last Friday I had had two vegetable shakes (eeewww) and six glasses of water.  Needless to say, I was ready for some massive calories for dinner.  Eight of us got together to have dinner at Boundry in Downtown Nashville.  For anyone reading this post I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this restaurant, and if you go there ask if Rob G. can be your server - keep reading and you’ll find out why. 

The server came to take our drink order and I was thrilled at the opportunity to have some real caffeine.  I asked for, you guessed it – a Mt Dew or a Mellow Yellow.  He politely told me neither was available and offered the list of sodas they did have.  Without allowing the utter disappointment to show on my face I said, “If you can score me a Mt Dew or a Mellow Yellow there is a really good tip in it for you.”
Back to the moral of the blog post – if you want it, ask for it.  If you want it bad enough, incentivize the person to help you!  Would you believe the waiter “found” me a Mt Dew!!!  Can you say: the best service ever!!  Dinner was great, the food was good, and the conversation was fantastic!  The seven ladies I went to dinner with (Stacey Marie Brown, S.M. Boyce, Jen McConnel, Amanda DeWees, Kris Kindel, Charlotte Abel and Christie Rich)
are all authors and were a wealth of knowledge on promotions, cross-promotions, social media, etc, and there was no shortage of funny stories! 

It came time for the desert menus and when I saw what was available, I was disappointed.  Again, the cool part of this awful diet is the fact that I can have a HUGE amount of calories for one meal per day.  I told the waiter I’d been hoping for a warm brownie with vanilla ice cream.  He empathized with me but sadly brownies weren’t on the menu.  I handed the menu back to him and declined desert.  I don’t think I pouted, but I may have mentioned that the kitchen likely had cocoa.  *smiles*  

Would you believe he found me a warm brownie with vanilla ice cream???  We later found out he sent someone to a restaurant a block away to get it for me. The ladies at the table thought this was a hoot, I thought this was the BEST SERVICE I HAD EVER received. 

Then I got to thinking, the same holds true in life, if you want something, you’ve got to go get it.  If you can’t get it for yourself, find the person who can get you what you want and convince them that they should get it for you!  Yes, the picture of the eight of us has the FABULOUS brownie and ice cream in front of me!!


Happy Reading!

Nancy

8 comments:

  1. Great post, Nancy! And so true! One of the things I noticed was that Rob was THRILLED to give you what you wanted. He wouldn't have had the opportunity to demonstrate what an awesome guy he was if you hadn't asked.

    It was a night to remember, that's for sure! Can't wait to see you again at the next con!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a pleasure to hang out with you, Charlotte! Can't wait for the next event, too! Congrats on Finding Valor's recent release! I'm excited to read it.

      Delete
  2. That was a hoot! I was impressed with the service, as well, and the brownie was good, too! Lol.

    It was a fun night. Can't wait for the next time to see what you'll do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting to meet you in person was a highlight of the trip, Christie!! You are a gem!!

      Delete
  3. I had such a blast! Thanks for sharing this. I definitely think we need to make Bound'ry a Nashville tradition. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the waiter has a blog and what he might have written about our group! LOL! I'm totally in, we'll definitely have to go again next year!

      Delete
  4. I second that! What a fun night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a REAL pleasure to meet you, Stacey!! I've been spending a lot of time in my writing cave this week, but when I emerge I'll be checking out Darkness to Light! Can't wait to see if your personality shines through!

      Delete